Monday, April 9, 2012

Roofing

I love you blog people.  Whenever I post about something I'm struggling with, you make me feel so much better!

     This process is going to be fun.  And I know I'm lucky to have a contractor for a husband.  I almost wonder why we decided to list the house without finishing more of it in the first place.  I'm feeling like we're on the right track now and we're both looking forward to getting started on the reno.

We've decided to approach the project from the outside in.  This is for a couple of reasons.  First, it's spring so we will be able to do the landscaping and give the plants a chance to take root and start looking really good.  Second, the roof appears to be leaking into the attic in one spot and it looks like crap right now.  We want to get this taken care of before it rains too much this spring.

   Today we have been looking at roofing options. Jay has sourced a simple 3 tab shingle in charcoal and has done that material take off.  He's also done the measurements for the windows but I'll save that for a different post.


  I know a roof isn't exactly a glory renovation.  It's not the pretty decor stuff.  But I do think it's going to make a huge difference.  Right now the roof is a mottled green-ish colour and it doesn't look great with the red-orange brick.  Plus, the shingles are peeling off.

See?  Peeling shingles don't look so nice.

We've also gotten the materials for me to begin cleaning off the cedar shake to prep the surface for painting.  Unfortunately, you can't just power wash cedar shake.  It will damage the wood.  I'm using TSP and a big scrub brush and a giant ladder.  You can see the moss that's growing on the lowest portion of the shake in the picture below.



Here's the painting plan:






Do you think I should paint the corbels in the taupe or leave them white?

On a side note, I love this cedar shake and the character it gives to my house. I can't wait to see what a huge difference all this makes!



xo Meg

5 comments:

  1. I'm not good with exteriors but just wanted to say that I love your home! It's got so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is so cute, its going to look amazing when its all done. I would paint out the corbels I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that bottom piece of trim is going to be white I think the corbels should be white as well. I think it's going to look amazing when it's all painted up. Can't wait to see it Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suggest you to paint the corbels with taupe color also. This is to give your exterior some shape and character. Since the shake is grey-taupe also, they’ll match nicely together.
    -North West Exteriors

    ReplyDelete