Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rippin' Down Walls

Big weekend around here.

Saturday I dug about a thousand dandelions out of my front yard.  My Mom came home from a trip so my kiddos stayed over at my parent's house and Jay and I had a mini date night.  I say 'mini' because we were both too exhausted to do much.

My dining room from the real estate listing.


Oh yeah, and on Sunday we ripped the wall between our kitchen and dining room out and framed up the new opening.

Whaaaaaat?????

Yep, we did it.

Remember this post I wrote about the layout of our kitchen and dining room?



This is the before layout of the main floor.

The wall is gone.  It was a messy and exhausting process for me, and there's still dust on every surface of my home but the kitchen reno is underway!  Take a look at these progress shots:







We have made a few decisions about the space now that everything is opened up.  Here are the details:


  1. The floor will be hardwood in the same light tone as the rest of the house.
  2. There will be a peninsula coming out from the right to about where my buffet ends in the above picture.
  3. The dishwasher will go where the three drawers are to the left of the sink.  Drawers will all be in the peninsula. So will the microwave.
  4. Bulkhead and upper cabinets will all be removed and open shelving installed.  
  5. The central light fixture will be removed.  Instead, there will be two lights over the peninsula and one over the sink, schoolhouse style.
  6. Beadboard backsplash with subway tiles under the new custom hood over the new stove.




I'm really inspired by this kitchen.  The layout is similar to what we're doing.  You can find this one and a whole bunch of others on my pinterest kitchen board.

I'll keep you posted!

xo Meg

3 comments:

  1. These are sinks produced from a combination of two distinct substances to produce a very durable material. Typically, Acrylic and also fiberglass aren’t a great combination since they tend to help easily process stains and after a while, lose the particular glossy conclude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's awesome. What to just go for it. Your inspiration picture is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are amazing - can't wait to see how it progresses!!

    ReplyDelete