Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Scavenging

Summer vacation officially began for my kids last week.  They are the type of kids who thrive on doing stuff - sports, hanging out with friends, going places and seeing things.  They like to be busy.

I, however, prefer to chill. But that's a whole other story.

You know the debate about over-scheduling your kids?  About how they need down time?  My kids are both very active in their sports and social lives and they don't ever seem to want down time. I worry that they are over-scheduled all the time.  However, I don't want them sitting around staring at a screen (computer, ipod, tv, etc) in their down time either.

It's week one of summer vacation and I'm already hearing the dreaded, "I'm bored, Mom!"



So when I found this fun pin on Pinterest, I thought we'd give it a try.

I basically used the same list, with a few additions.  You could do this in your own backyard but I sent my kids to the green just across the street from my house.  

Here's Audrey, showing me the stuff she found.

The prize for completing the scavenger hunt was a popsicle!






Overall, I'd say the Nature Scavenger Hunt was quite a success.  My kids really enjoyed it.  Maybe I'd put some trickier items on the list for them next time and have them pick up 5 pieces of garbage.  They did complete it much faster than I thought they would!

What are you doing to keep your kids busy and off the screens this summer?

xo Meg

6 comments:

  1. I love that your kids like being busy, and I agree that anything is better than having them sit in front of a TV, computer (oops hahaha) etc. We rarely have the TV on during the day, and B and I only watch at night once Halle is in bed. I figure she won't be as "used to" watching TV when she is older.

    I can't wait until Halle is old enough to do a scavenger hunt like this! :) It looks so fun.

    Since we're visiting back home Halle and I have been getting out seeing a lot of people, and today I think my brother and I are going to take her to a nearby Zoo in the afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally stealing this idea. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I'm storing this away for when I have older kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! Also I think if your kids were complaining that they're being shuffled around to activities all the time then maybe they are overscheduled but if they love being busy - keep 'em busy! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea.!! As soon as mine are old enough to read, I'm totally stealing this idea! Your kids are pretty cute btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome idea, Meg! Maybe I'll try a road trip version when we leave for vacation on Saturday.

    As much as everything seems much more relaxed in the summer, I do feel the need to get out and about with the kids, i.e. swimming lessons, beach days and lots of pool time. It helps me to break up the bickering and the boredom that inevitably sets in and make the most of the nice summer weather while keeping my sanity.

    Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete