Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Garden in Progress

It's been the most beautiful long weekend in my neck of the woods.  We've been busting our butts working on the house.  Cause what else would you do on a long holiday weekend?

Let me introduce you to our front gardens, before all the work.










There are definitely some nice plants in there, a decent base for us to begin with.  I'm personally all about perennial flowering shrubs.  Low maintenance and pretty with just one investment up front.  Also, you can divide them down the line to increase the gardening goodness!

I'm not usually into using much colour in my garden (I know, shocking!).  I prefer a mix of greens and white flowers - lots of them.  But these red Sandcherry plants were already in the garden so we decided to roll with it.  They are very pretty and have lovely pinkish white tiny flower blooms.



So in the spirit of working with what you've got, here's a view of our front gardens now:

right side

left side

front garden bed
First, we weeded the beds.  Then we put down landscape cloth and mulch to help reduce weeding and make the gardens low maintenance.  Then we added some new plants to the existing arrangement.  We're so happy with how it turned out.  It looks tidy and I'm not ashamed to pull up to our house anymore.  I'm looking forward to seeing all these plants fill in!  

xo Meg

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a difference a bit of weeding and some mulch makes. Looks great! I love love love black mulch!

    ReplyDelete